Message Boards
Home > Message Boards > Hotshot Message Board

Users must register before posting on the Message Boards.
  Login Register  

Joined: 9/26/2006
Location: Edinburg, TX
Posts: 8

Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:08:16 AM

How much does the TXDOT # cost? What do you need for hot shots?
Joined: 10/13/2006
Location: little rock, AR
Posts: 1


Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:24:41 PM


All of the below applies for Arkansas however all of the below is federal requirements therefore they shouldn't be any different from state to state. I'm not sure if this what you are looking for. I do know from talking with my federal DOT lady that you cannot just have a DOT # w/o and MC# in any state unless you are hauling exempt cargo and more than likely you won't be. Also do get a DOT# you need to go thur a permitting company otherwise you will never get all the forms fill out and ge able to get your blanket company DOT requires you to have i have the infor listed below for price and the company i used

There are several things you need here are some (I own
a hot shot and semi trucking company i just added the
hot shots so this is fresh on my brain)

1-- you have to have an MC and DOT number and once you
get them you have to place them on each side of the
truck just like big rigs do.  You will need a blanket
company to get you going on MC and DOT numbers and
supply you with what FMSCA calls BOC3 ect i would
suggest Lees Permit service they did mine there number
is 479-474-5292 ask for Candy they will charge $750.00
which is reasonable for all that they will help you
2- you will have to get a single state registration
you can get this at your local highway dept you must
have one of these for each truck you have if you are
going to be going out of state.
3- you will not have to have an IFTA or Base Plate
like big rigs as long as the Gross Vehicle Rate Rating
is less that 26,000 lbs truck and trailer combines.
It is important that you look at you vehicle because
rating on the inside of the door because even if you
plan to haul less that 26,00lbs it doesn't matter DOT
(and trust me you don't want them on your back) goes
by what the vehicle is rated at not by how much weight
you plan to haul.

Anyway that is just a little to get you started if you
have anymore questions you can e-mail be pack
Joined: 9/26/2006
Location: Edinburg, TX
Posts: 8


Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:00:19 PM


Thank you! I appreciate it! I will email you if I have further questions and hope you can help me out! Once again, thank you!
Joined: 11/25/2005
Location: Hurst, TX
Posts: 24


Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:57:35 PM


A TXDOT number is needed if you operate over 26,000 pounds and pickup in TX and drop that load in TX. If you operate out of TX (across state lines) you also need an MC# and USDOT#.

Go to the following link and read the posts there. A lot of info is there if you will dig it out.
Joined: 11/22/2006
Location: willisburg, KY
Posts: 52


Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:39:52 AM


I f you haul intrastate in the state of Texas you must have a dot number for Tx the cost is roughly 250 per yr for first truck. little cheaper for each addon.

If u pick up in houston and deliver in el paso you must have a dot number for the state of tx.

consequenses: trailer and load are confiscated; regaurdless if military, live stock or perishables. The load will be held until  txdot number is issued. approximately 8 weeks. Then you can pay for the load if perishable, go to jail for illegally transporting military/federal property,  or, stay there for 8 weeks, while you feed and water your livestock. because the scale master wont feed your animals. and if your hauling produce, pray it stinks when it rots, cause mking the scalemaster hold his nose is the only satisfaction, u r going to get for paying for the load.

Joined: 12/27/2007
Location: el paso, TX
Posts: 2


Posted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:56:36 PM


Thank you,Everyone i have talked with has told me that i do not need anything except a truck and trailer.If i lease on will that be provided by them or is that something i will still need to get?.I plan on getting a duelly and hauling rv trailers till i can afford my own trail.can you give any info if you can. Home | Message Boards | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer