Truckinfo.net Message Boards
Search
Home > Message Boards > Problem Solver Message Board(Mechanical, Electrical Questions)

Users must register before posting on the Truckinfo.net Message Boards.
  Login Register  
 Username
 Password

2006 CAT C15 Engine

SABNDAR@cox.net

2006 CAT C15 Engine
Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:31:49 PM

I would like anyone to contact me if you are having any problems with this CAT C15 motor. I bought a new 2006 Pete last year in March and I have been having a problem with this engine since I hit about 95,000 miles (2 months ago) This truck has been to 3 different shops, and all three shops know that the truck is missing but can't seem to find the problem. I just want to know if this is a common problem with this new motor before I contact my attorney.

cogar4406@yahoo.com

RE:2006 CAT C15 Engine
Posted: Sun Sep 3, 2006 6:58:31 PM

hi if you find the solution please let me know what you found.

lugnutz@vzinet.com

Posted: Sun Sep 3, 2006 11:29:42 PM

I am the miserable owner of a 2005 379 with C15. Almost since the day I bought it, there has been a miss in it. It "gargles" and knocks like it's starving for fuel, can't get enough fuel pressure to the injectors. Symptoms are almost identical to those you see when a fuel filter begins to plug up. Lately, it's also been real bad about losing prime, so about one out of ten times I start it up, it loses prime and dies, then I have to use starting fluid to get it started again. I've had it in the shop, both Cat and Peterbilt, more than 25 times, every test in the world has been run on it, and no one can figure it out. Therefore, I've been trying to isolate the problem myself.

Here's my theory, based on everything I've done. The fuel pumps today are moving so much fuel so fast that it is overwhelming the filters. My truck came originally equipped with a canister-type screen/water separator, the one with the bolt/o-ring in the top. That one worked great, until it started sucking air. Couldn't get another one because it was on backorder. So they replaced the whole thing with a spin-on type setup. Problem now is, no matter what filter i put on there, it is too restrictive, and so it is aerating the fuel and creating a vacuum on the engine (exit) side of the filter base. This is all theory, mind you, based on my own work. If this isn't it, then I must have some restriction elswhere on the pressure side. 

wingerron41@yahoo.com

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:51:26 PM

Does it have a Jake brake on it?
Sometimes the switch goes bad on the jake and cuts power to the cylinders.

robert.hitchcock@gnb.ca

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:44:33 AM

Does it smoke at all??? If the problem is fuel pressure, a fuel pressure test would show this. If the problem is restriction, this is also easily determined with a gauge between the filter outlet and pump inlet. If air is entering system, the air will be seen with a site glass at the pump inlet (hook up to a "known good fuel source" if you question it). Air might also be found on the return line to the tank, but be careful as some bubbles in the fuel is normal. Try pressurizing your fuel supply lines/fittings with shop air and check for leaks with soapy water. No codes or engine light (even intermittently)....... right?

stan

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:28:35 PM

Hi I just had my 2006 freightliner with the c15 with only 484000 km into the shop about 6 times in the last 2 months, dam neer every part of the cooling system was replaced. The last time it went to the shop the cat went into eng protection and ran real ruff like not getting enough fuel and also the temp was up and down, they found that the emissions velve under the valve cover was not opening to remove the emissions out of the motor so they changed it and so far it seem ok.

smitty

Posted: Sun May 4, 2008 11:10:35 AM

put mine on the dyno to find out that I had been running the wrong primary ,you need a Cat 256-8753, also make sure you have the right base. picked up 42 hp just by changing filter, was being starved for fuel.

chestnut

Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:47:37 AM

I have a 07 c15 379. When i shut it off for aprox 15 minutes and restart it, it runs for about 10 seconds then runs out of fuel. I have to prime the filters to get it to start. After that it will run fine until i shut it off again. I have replaced the primer pump, 3 check valves and the primary filter housing. Any answers may help.

abz962@hotmail.com

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:17:16 PM

We found out the hard way, the C-15 engine has to use CAT fuel filters.  The other filters starve the engine.  I know it sounds bizarre, but, thats what we had to do to get rid of a horrible vibration.  It only took eight times and Lemon Law to get the problem fixed.  Good Luck

sstone31470@yahoo.com

Posted: Fri Feb 9, 2007 5:03:12 PM

newby here i have a 05 pete with the same engine and i have a simular prob if i let truck idle for 15 minutes or so then go to take off it will not pull for about 4 or 5 gears like its starving for fuel i changed the cat filters with baldwin filters not thinking about restriction i guess my ? is would a nother lift pump help? like a electric one .

rrman72

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:03:58 PM

If you read your manual the c-15 should be idled at 1000 rpm if   has to sit longer than 5 min.

ttrewben@firepowergroup.com

Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:05:23 PM

I have seen this before on a few Mack trucks in Australia.  We found a dent in a male fuel supply line fitting.  The fuel was not leaking out of this fitting but it allowed the engine to suck a small amount of air and was causing the engine to run rough and miss fire.

I have also seen the hand primer pumps cause a similar problem 

rjg

Posted: Thu Jul 5, 2007 4:35:22 PM

i have a 2006 pete with the same motor i ended up haveing to have my computer redone this is a recall that cat wont tell you about. in regards to the other guy with the fuel problem been there done that i had to tighten the filter about a quarter more turn to get this problem fixed. i now have a 151,000 on my pete and problem free now

catman

Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:39:56 PM

HEY ALL! IM THE DRIVER OF A KW! 03 T800 AND I ALSO HAVE A C15 WITH 611 THOUSAND ON IT! AND AT 230 THOU! IT STARTED MISSING BANGING LIKE A STUCK INJECTOR! TOOK IT TO CAT! THEY TESTID IT! AND FOUND THAT THERE WAS A RELAY VALVE! INSIDE THE FUEL PUMP! THAT HAD WENT BAD! AND! CHANGED ALL FILTERS TO CAT! FILTERS! AND 611 THOUSAND! MILES LATER WERE STILL GOIN STRONG! MY BROTHER IS A MASTER CAT MECHANIC! HE TOLD ME! VERY CLEAR! THAT C15 MOTOR MUST HAVE CAT FILTERS! ON IT OR IT WILL STARVE FOR FUEL! AND WILL CAUSE THE PROBLEM I ACCURED! HAPPY HAMMERIN! ALL!

theporters

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:32:01 PM

We bought a T2000 with the 2006 Cat C15. She was getting over 6.7 mpgs. Then we sat idling the truck 4 days in Miami. Mpgs have gone down to about 5.5 at best. No missing or rough running, just poor mpgs. Took her to 2 shops. One did something with the VVA. Other found a busted exhaust manifold gasket. Problems fixed, but not mpgs. I just heard on XM from Kevin Rutherford that the oil fill cap can blow off and has been recalled. Lovely.  I miss my Cummins!!

m_yusuf55

Posted: Wed Jul 1, 2009 1:05:14 PM

I have an C-15 CAT on a 1997 freightliner. Everything is okay on the engine, I had it for one year. During work, I turned the engine off then turned it on five minutes later, the engine started but it begin to shake. So I turned it off and on again. It wouldn't turn on. I cheacked all the wires, lights and batteries and they all work. I even tried to clutch start it and it won't start using ether. The starter works. My mechanic after three hours diagnoses thinks the ECM unit is not working.

Can I check the ECM unit after taking it off the truck? Are they sold used? Any ideas concerning my truck's problem?

chickenbone

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:57:32 PM

Had an ecm go bad on our 2005 C-15 Twin turbo, cost was about $2100 to replace at dealer and take a look at fuel line that runs behind ECM they will rub computer from vibration and chafe the line and leak, Put some insulation on it after repair.

chickenbone

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:52:53 PM

Drive a Kenworth W900L with C-15 w/ twin turbo, fired up one morning started missing at idle and through the gears. After changinging fuel filters with no result we put it in shop and found #1 and #2 injectors bad. Ran like a new one after repair but they adjusted valves, actuator and engine brake whick I had no trouble with before and my jake wouldnt disengage even with switch off and it lugged rpms down to 400 rpm and finally shut off, took back to shop and they had to replace springs( said they were too weak)on engine brake to disengage. That repair cost us out of pocket, funny it started acting up after they adjusted it when it was fine before hand. All in all repair was around $2300 parts and labor and 2 lost days of work for me. For reference I didnt mention that was 2006 model engine.

Truckinfo.net Home | Message Boards | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer